From familiarity with Meta tags to additional SEO descriptions with Meta tags
What is the meaning of Meta tag? What are the features of a meta tag? Does the Meta tag have an effect on SEO? How to implement a meta tag? In this article, we will get acquainted with the Meta tag and how a tag can change the level of search engine trust in your website. Be with SEO teaching.
Meta tag and familiarity with Meta Data
Metadata is a term for information about a data. The <meta> tag provides metadata for the HTML document. The contents of the meta tag are not displayed on the screen, but affect how the page works and is interpreted.
In other words, meta tags are seen by bots like Google to understand the pages of the site better and more accurately, while the user does not see them directly.
The elements inside the <meta> tag usually include description, keywords, author, last modified, and other metadata, which we’ll talk more about later.
Metadata components can be used by browsers (to display content and load the page), search engines (keywords) or other web services.
Please note the following example:
<meta charset = “UTF-8”>
<meta name = “description” content = “Free Web tutorials”>
<meta name = “author” content = “John Doe”>
<meta name = “viewport” content = “width = device-width, initial-scale = 1.0”>
For example, the third line is an example of a description metatag or description metatag that is used in various places such as the results of Google pages. We can see the type of metatag in the name field.
The meta tag is always located inside the head section of the page. The metadata value always has a key structure = value, for example in the example above it is the name key and its value can be description.
If the http-equiv property is defined, the content property must be defined. Otherwise the content property value cannot be defined for http-equiv.
Differences between HTML5 and HTML4 versions
The scheme property is not supported in HTML5.
The HTML5 version has a new property called charset that makes it easier to define Unicode in documents, which you can read about in Charset Introduction.
In HTML4 version
<meta http-equiv = “content-type” content = “text / html; charset = UTF-8”>
In HTML5 version
<meta charset = “UTF-8”>
Version differences in XHTML and HTML
In the HTML version, the <meta> tag does not need to be closed.
In the XHTML version, the <meta> tag must be closed with the end tag.
Below are some examples of different meta tags.
We used the Keywords meta tag to define keywords for the search engine.
Why did the verb become past? This was an important meta tag in SEO, but it is no longer, and in the past, Meta Keyword was used a lot to improve the site’s SEO and increase the site’s ranking in Google and other search engines.
To implement the keywords meta tag, we put it in the name property, and we put all the keywords using the content property, and we separate them using an English comma “, ”.
We put the description of the page using the description. Page description is an important part of SEO that you encounter in your searches after titles.
In the example below you can see a meta description of the description that I marked with a red box.
To implement this metadata, we need to write the name property equal to the description and the page description inside the content property.
Description meta in WordPress
There are almost 3 sites in the world with WordPress every 4 hours, I hope you have followed the SEO teaching WordPress tutorial. Anyone who has WordPress must have installed the Just plugin, you can insert meta tags in WordPress with the help of the plugin. Just go to the bottom of your post and click Edit snippet and insert an interesting text related to that post.
Viewport – viewport
You can set up a viewport to optimize the website for display on all devices through the Viewport name.
<meta name = “viewport” content = “width = device-width, initial-scale = 1.0”>
As you can see, the viewport, like the previous two examples, needs to be named viewport in the name property to implement, and the description of the width and magnification must be in the content property. We’ll talk about Viewport in full in the introduction to responsive page design.
In the Types section, we will get acquainted with more examples of meta tags.
If you do not insert the viewport meta in the site, the site is practically no longer responsive and will not display well in the mobile version of the website.
Below are the properties that the meta tag supports in HTML.
Property – Key Description Value
Charset character_set Specifies the Unicode type for the HTML document
Content text Specifies the value of the http-equiv property or the name property
refresh Specifies an HTTP header for content property information
viewport Specifies a name for metadata
scheme format / URI Specifies a scheme for interpreting the values used in the content property, this property is not supported in HTML5.
Keep in mind the description of the initial learning of the Meta tag until this section is completed. From this section to the end of the article is for further study and research of Meta tags in the field of SEO. So if you just want to learn HTML, you can skip this specialized section related to SEO, but if you are interested in learning more, we suggest that you read the rest of the article and ask in the comments section wherever you feel the content is vague to get more Explain.
Familiarity with SEO based on Meta tags and types of meta tags
Well, we wrote all these explanations to get to the important topic of SEO with meta tags. Meta tags represent the beginning of most SEO training. (Even in SEO teaching SEO training, the first explanation regarding internal SEO and technical SEO is related to the Meta tag)
When I started writing an article about the Meta tag, I was thinking about how to explain the misconception that most people have of the Meta tag in their minds, that is, not to use keywords in your mind. So I decided to give you 3 different examples of meta tags in the examples section.
One of the first things that search engines evaluate when searching for websites is the misuse of meta tags; Because in the first part of our code on the page are inside the Head tag; So it is very important to first consider the SEO meta tags that Google and other search engines have high intelligence in detecting fraud; So be careful when using this tag and its data. Of course, I did not say that ب xD is one of the best tools to introduce your page to search engines.
More than you think…
As I said at the end of the examples, meta tags are not limited to Keywords, Description and Viewport (of course, these 3 are the most used) and there are so many meta tags that I I divided the meta tags that are mostly seen on the pages into three categories: good, bad and indifferent, which we will discuss below, and since we can not review all the meta tags together, if you are interested in reviewing the meta tags, one The website has a complete list of meta tags that you can check for more information.
As I write this article today in 2020, you should know that meta tags are still important in SEO, but not all of them will help you. This experience is probably confirmed by all SEO experts that in order for meta tags to be effective, in addition to their presence in your code, you need good content related to content marketing and content production.
My advice is not to add meta tags as much as possible, they will only increase the size of your code and will not do you much good. The less and more efficient the code, the better. Assume that your code acts as a router in browsers; Meta tags in the router are the annoying part of routers like Wise (in Iranian, I mean, for example, xD) that when you want to go one way, it says “Continue another 200 meters” while you also know that You have to continue this route for another two hundred meters xD and then exit the exit…
You can see how to implement the following meta tags in the full list of meta tags at www.metatags.org.
Good meta tags
Below we introduce the meta tags that you need to put on each page. Note that this list is a small list of tags. These meta tags are the only meta tags you should definitely use, so if you think these tags do your job, just do them and use them only on your page.
- Content-type: It is very important to specify what Charset you are using on your page, and every page without exception should have this code. What type of Charset you want to use on the page depends on your needs, and in the article Introducing Charset we will be fully acquainted with it. Also keep in mind that the presence of this code on your page is very important and a page that does not have a charset may be in trouble.
- Title: Titles do not start with the Meta tag and have a separate tag, but are part of the meta data series and must be present on pages. In relation to the titles, we have fully explained the title tag in the article and you can read about them.
- Meta Description: The description meta tag is used for one big purpose: to briefly explain your page to search engine results (SERP) visitors. This tag does not increase your rank, but it is very important to get a rank in any case. This section is actually an advertisement for your page that makes the user decide whether to enter your page or not. Keep the number of letters to 160 and write the text as if you want to sell your page and your customer’s user who you want to make it click.
- And finally, the Viewport: In today’s mobile world, you have to pay special attention to the Viewport area. If you do not believe, you will have a big risk in the large community of mobile users and their experience. We will get to know Viewport more fully in this article.
Indifferent meta tags (neutral)
Different websites in certain circumstances should use other meta tags that you will learn about these meta tags later, but if you can really continue without these meta tags, please do so.
- Social network meta tags: Generally I do not use these tags manually on my pages. Putting OpenGraph and Twitter data on pages is important, but not the required meta tags on every page.
- Robots meta tag: There is a misconception about the Robots meta tag that I want to clarify. You do not have to use the Robots meta tag on all pages. In general, our pages are Index and Follow, and only if we want to change the existing states, it is better to use this meta tag. About the Robots meta tag, Naser Rasouli has explained in full, and I suggest you read the article about the Robots meta tag. (Of course, Pouria Jan considered this meta tag important, and I do not deny this at all.
- Canonical meta tag: Google is sensitive to duplicate content, and if our pages contain duplicate content, we must use this meta tag, otherwise Google will penalize our page. This meta tag is very important, but if you do not use duplicate content, you can not use it. However, despite all that I have said, do not use the meta tags that I say in this section. I suggest you use it and read Naser Rasouli’s article about canonical meta tags.
- Special robots meta tag (Googlebot): This meta tag is for specific search engine robots like Google to use special commands such as noodp or noydir. You can read everything about Robots in the article about them. In general, search engines have a high level of understanding and will find out the specifications of your page. But in some places it has been observed that this is required, in which case I suggest using the same meta tag Robots instead of special robots.
- Language: Only in cases where you are going to have a multilingual and international website, it is better to specify the main language on the page using this meta tag.
- Geographic Area (GEO): The latest information released about this meta tag is that the GEO meta tag is supported in the Bing search engine but not in the Google search engine. (You can specify geolocation in Google Search Console). This meta tag has 3 types: place name (placename), position (Position) and region (Region).
- Keywords: Yes! Yes!! Yes! It may be unbelievable that we talk about all these keywords in the field of SEO, but we put the keywords section in the meta tag in the neutral section! Most of the time, the keyword meta tag has no effect on search engine results, Of course, it may help you in very few cases, but I suggest you skip this meta tag. Of course, if this tag is created automatically, there is no reason to delete it.
- Refresh meta tag: One of the weak transfer methods that should not be used. It is better to use server side 301 transfer instead of this meta tag. This meta tag may be necessary from time to time, but Google does not support it.
- Website verification: In general, one of the ways to activate and verify websites in search engines is to put the SiteVerification meta tag on your page. But you do not really need to increase your page size for website approval. Google’s new way of authentication is through DNS setup, and it is also possible to upload an XML file to the host. There is also an XML file for authentication in the Bing search engine, which you can use instead of meta tag authentication.
Bad meta tags
First of all, let me make it clear that using these meta tags, nothing bad will happen to your website SEO. (God forbid, if it comes to the card, use it, I’m upset because I say give it not used xD) According to Google in 2005 (which is now about 15 years old) The meta tags I introduce below are nothing but a waste of your page space Will not follow. If you are ready and willing, let’s clean up some of the Head section of our pages…
- Author meta tag: This tag specifies the name of the author of the web page, This tag does not matter. This information is now done through Schema.
- Revisit After: This is a meta tag for bots to come back after a while and check the webpage. Most search engines do not support this meta tag.
- Copyright: According to Google, when we put the title Copy and Copyright and Year in the footer of our website and Google checks it, what is the reason to mention it again in the header of the website?
- Generator: This meta tag identifies the program that created the page. For example, if a person is the creator of the page, using it is useless.
Briefly describe a good meta tag, a neutral meta tag, and a bad meta tag in your own language. 3 points =))
The accounts of those who give the correct and complete answer in the comments will be charged 10 thousand tomans in the user panel of SEO teaching Academy. (Of course, you must register at the SEO teaching Academy to be able to use this privilege.)
In this article, we learned about the meta tag, its importance in SEO, and the different types of metadata. I hope I was able to fully acquaint you with this tag.
As I said, the number of Meta tags is very high. If you think you can add a meta tag in the SEO section, or if you feel I am wrong about them, let me know so we can update the article.
If you have any questions, suggestions or criticisms, be sure to share them with us and I will answer you as soon as possible. Until next article…